Wednesday 5 September 2012

Cravings XXXII (Paige)


XXXII

            Paige didn’t know what to think.  She stared across the little office they had found at the old man sitting on the floor opposite her and wondered who he really was.

            “So, this cult is behind everything tonight?” she asked, unsure if she believed it.

            “I think so,” Henry replied, then, rubbing his head, added, “It’s the only explanation that makes any sense, anyway.”

            “And you’ve known about this cult all your life?”

            “Pretty much,” he agreed.

            “Then why did you deny everything you saw until just now?  Why all the complaining and telling us that none of it was real.  Why did you put us through so much extra misery, Henry, when you knew all along what was happening?”

            He let out a bitter little laugh and nodded, “You’re quite right, Paige, I’ve been a fool, but you see, I never believed any of it, not really, not even when I believed so much else.  It’s ironic that I should have to live through it.”

            “Yeah,” Paige replied just as bitterly, “ironic.  I suppose we’ll all look back on this nightmare and laugh, shall we?”

            Henry’s eyes darkened.  “I’ve admitted that I’ve been a fool.  Don’t be a bigger one by not listening to what I’m saying now.”

            She looked away, feeling ashamed and not really wanting to show it.  Eventually she turned back to face him.  He looked old and tired and sad, but his anger had departed him.  “Sorry,” she said.

            “What did your family have to do with the cult, then?” Charlie asked from where he was huddled up beside Paige.

            “We made it out job, as members of the clergy, to look out for signs that the cult was active and to take action where necessary.”

            “What sort of action?”

            “I don’t recall all the details.  It seemed to me that my father was pretty vague on that point,” he rubbed his head nervously again, “I guess I wasn’t paying full attention.”

            “If this cult is real and these demons they seem to be calling forth, or working with, or whatever, are real, then does that mean…”  She let her question dissolve into the silence and Henry stared at her as if trying to read the words she didn’t say on her face.

            “That God is real?” he finished for her.  “No.  I don’t think it does.  The existence of the supernatural is not proof positive of all kinds of supernatural and the existence of demons does not presuppose the existence of God.  Indeed, all I’ve seen tonight only make me more sure that that is no God.”

            “Why?”

            “Because I cannot believe in a God who would let this happen to us.”

            But we’re still alive, despite all we’ve faced and we’ve made it this far, somehow.  What about Charlie’s sense of someone guiding us?  The snippet of Bible verse she had remembered before came to her once again.  Remember to be strong and brave…

            “So what do we do now?”

            “I suppose we should continue trying to look for Josh.”

            “Do you really believe he’s still alive?”

            “I don’t know,” Henry admitted, “but I don’t know what else to do.”

            “Then we’ll look,” Paige replied, starting to rise to her feet.  She felt so tired, but Henry was right, what else could they do?  “Come one, Charlie, let’s get moving again.”

            Remember to be strong and brave…

No comments:

Post a Comment