Monday 21 May 2012

Fever XII - XIV (Josh, Paige, Charlie)


XII - Josh

            Josh reached the stairwell and punched the doors open, not bothering to slow for the steps, nearly stumbling as he reached the landing for the second floor.  Again he punched right through and found himself in a patch of corridor where the fluorescents weren't flickering at all - they were dead.

            "Stupid fucking old man!" His voice echoed along the industrial beige walls.  They sounded good to him, right somehow, justified.  "Like I don't have a right to care about this, just 'cos I'm - what? - still a teenager?  Fuck him!"  There was a loud thud as his boot impacted the wall, denting the weak plaster.  His hands hit the wall palm first, fingers spread and the impact of his forehead against the cool paint was light.  "Fuck it..."

            The trickle of blood at his feet went unnoticed.

XIII - Paige

            "Why were you arguing with him?"  Paige asked angrily as she examined Henry's jaw.  "The last thing we need right now is a fight!"

            "He was just getting on my nerves!"  He flicked her hand away.  "I'm all right for God's sake!"

            Paige frowned at him.  "I heard the impact!  Now let me look at it."

            She waved her hands past his makeshift barrier of arms and shrugs and grabbed at his chin once more.  "It's quite a bruise!  When I see that boy-"

            "Ha!  Didn't you see?  He's run off!  Back to his mother if he knows what's good for him."

            "He needs to explain himself, and you need to give him the chance."  She let his head drop back down.  "You don't look too bad, but be careful, alright?"

            "I told you I was fine!  Bloody women."

            He picked himself up off the chair and walked over to the television, flicking the off switch in disgust.  Paige watched him carefully as he walked over to the window, wiped the smiley face away and stared out into the dark.

            "I did see people here...” He muttered to himself.

            Paige sighed and turned back to Charlie, but froze as she saw the empty corridor.  "Charlie? Oh, no..."

XIV - Charlie

            Charlie ran down the corridor as fast as his feet would let him.  He felt the slap of his shoes against the floor as painful blows and his mind replayed the scene from the ward.  The crack of that blow seemed to echo after him.

            Why did Josh do that?  Why did he hit the old man?  Why was he so angry?  Questions circled around his brain to the rhythm of his feet.  Why?  Why?  Why?

            Memories of his father interfered.

            "You useless boy, you're just like your mother!"  The prelude to another beating.  Or, "I come home from work, and I find the place like this?  You must be kidding me lad!"  An affectionate patron.

            I haven't escaped I haven't escaped I haven't escaped I haven’t-

            His thoughts ran on and so did he.

No comments:

Post a Comment